Jorge Luis Hernandez Pouyú – Biography
Born on March 27, 1967, in Santiago de Cuba, he is a member of the Hermanos Saíz Association and the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
He first studied art at the José Joaquín Tejada School of Visual Arts. In 1985 he moved to Havana, where he joined the Eduardo Abela Experimental Painting Workshop and worked at the Rene Portocarrero Silkscreen Workshop, affiliated with the Cuban Cultural Foundation, in Cathedral Square.
He participated in the Julio Le Parc Workshop, the CODEMA workshops, and the 2nd Biennial of Havana (1986). In 1988 he was invited by the Center for the Development of the Visual Arts to participate in the Paper Making Workshop, as part of the 3rd Biennial of Havana.
He has participated in numerous exhibitions, including:
- 4th Caribbean Show, Oriente Gallery, Santiago de Cuba, 1988
- “Young Artists from Santiago de Cuba,” Europe, 1989
- 5th Prizewinners’ Show, National Museum of Fine Arts, Havana, 1990
- “De Otra Isla” (From the Other Island), Museum of Contemporary Art, Dominican Republic, 1991
- “Al Machete” (On the March), Young Artists’ Show, Santiago de Cuba, 1992
- “De Una Isla de Sueños” (From an Island of Dreams), Uruguay, 1993
- “Arte del Caribe Hoy” (Caribbean Art Today), Germany, 1994
- 1st Cuban Contemporary Show, National Museum, Havana, 1995
- 2nd National Visual Arts Colloquium, Las Tunas, 1996
- “Arte Joven Santiaguero” (Young Art from Santiago), National Theater, Havana, 1997
- “Bosquejos Para un Gran Relato” (Sketches for a Grand Tale), Galiano Gallery, 2nd Contemporary Show, Havana, 1998
- Retrospective of Santiago’s Visual Arts, Fin de Siglo Room, Emilio Bacardí Museum, Santiago de Cuba, 1999
- “The Painters of Santiago de Cuba,” Oregon, USA, 2000
- “The Painters of Santiago de Cuba” roving exhibition, USA, 2001 and 2002
- 2003-2004 “Cuba, Oriente: Contemporary Painting from Eastern Cuba” Meridian International Center, Washington, D.C.
- 2003-2004 “The Art of Eastern Cuba: A Contemporary Collection” Lighthouse Center for the Arts, Tequesta, Florida
Among his personal shows are:
- “Dibujos” (Drawings), Santiago de Cuba, 1987
- “Esa Gente es de Todo” (All Kinds of People), Camagüey, 1990
- “Pink Time–Partes Vulnerables,” Santiago de Cuba, 1992
- “Obras de 1991 a 1993” (Works from 1991 to 1993), Havana, 1994
- “Laberintos” (Labyrinths), Moa, Holguín, 1995
- “Sobrenaturalezas” (Supernatural Things), Havana, 1997
- “Obras Sobre Cartulina” (Works on Bristol Board), Santiago de Cuba, 1998
- “No figurativo” (Not Figurative), Santiago de Cuba Cathedral, 1999
He has won the prizes in the following competitions:
- 3rd November 30th Show, Santiago de Cuba
- Special prize from the Cuban Cultural Foundation, 1990
- 12th City Show, Santiago de Cuba
- 13th City Show, Oriente Gallery, Santiago de Cuba, 1991
He was awarded honorable mentions at the 13th Regino Botti Territorial Show in Guantánamo, 1989, and at the 5th Prizewinners’ Show, Havana. Since 1991, he has participated as a judge in various regional events.
He currently lives and works in his hometown of Santiago de Cuba.